Black Friday is officially dawning in New Zealand tomorrow, but the sale-oriented US shopping holiday is more of a week-long affair for many retailers. Here’s a collection of reports and estimates looking at how much has already been spent, and how much more consumers are expected to shell out on the day.
Price-comparison website PriceSpy conducted a survey on Kiwi shoppers’ intentions and found that of the 35 percent intending to buy something on Black Friday, a 53 percent majority intended to shop in-store. The remaining 47 percent planned to shop online.
The top retailer cited by those intending to shop on Black Friday was The Warehouse (43 percent). In second place was Amazon (30 percent); JB HiFi (27 percent); Noel Leeming (27 percent) and Farmers (25 percent).
Seventy-one percent of Black Friday shoppers told PriceSpy they intended to spend up to $300.
The price comparison website predicts the top Black Friday categories will be:
- Gadgets and electronics (61 percent)
- Fashion(39 percent)
- Health and beauty (33 percent)
- Toys, children and baby (31 percent)
- Sports and outdoor equipment (24 percent)
Liisa Matinvesi-Bassett, New Zealand country manager for PriceSpy, says:
“With over half of respondents (53 per cent) having previously made a purchase on this renown shopping day, we also get a clearer indication on just how popular Black Friday now is in New Zealand.”
A second report, from Polish ecommerce company Picodi.com S.A., is part of a survey conducted across 55 countries worldwide, combined with information from Google Trends, affiliate networks and a statistics tool called Similarweb.
It indicates that 60 percent of Kiwis are familiar with Black Friday, with the average shopper willing to spend $205 on the day. The majority (58.8 percent) will shop both online and bricks and mortar.
According to Picodi’s report, the average discount in New Zealand online stores reached a whopping 59 percent last year, four points above the global average.