Bookstores are often the most loyalty driven areas of retail, customers frequent their favourite bookstores with a passion not often found in any other sector. So as New Zealand Bookshop Day rounds the corner this Saturday, we prepare to celebrate with some of our most respected, independent book stores.
Last year, Booksellers NZ chief executive Lincoln Gould said book sales were on the rise, according to Nielsen. Yet Gould now says the figures show a very small part of the story of our book industry.
“The explosion of Writers’ Festivals, the continued success of both established and new bookshops and the resolution by the Government to ensure GST is added to online purchases from next October all contributes to the health of our bookstores,” he said.
“It has also been another year of significant anniversaries. Beattie & Forbes in Rotorua has just celebrated 50 years, while Arty Bees in Wellington celebrates 30 years this month. And members Muir’s Bookshop have been going for an incredible 113 years this year, with no sign of stopping.”
So, as our bookstore industry continues to grow, New Zealand bookstore day
Here is just a taster of the events lined up for NZ Bookshop Day on Saturday 27 October.
- Women’s Bookshop Ponsonby: Meet ‘On the Rag’ presenters The Spinoff’s Alex Casey, Leonie Hayden and author and comedian Michele A’Court in-store at 2pm.
- Dorothy Butler Children’s Bookshop in Ponsonby will help your kids save the world, with help from illustrator Angela Keoghan, illustrator of How to Help a Hedgehog and Protect a Polar Bear, in-store from 11am. (image attached of part of last years’ event)
- Penny’s Bookstore in Hamilton will be hosting a book character dress-up and treasure hunt: and every person who buys a book goes in the draw to win their height in books!
- Books for Kids in Hamilton is hosting the launch of Tui in a Teapot, with Nikki Slade Robinson and Dawn McMillan in-store, reading and signing at 11am
- Wardini Books in Napier is launching Donovan Bixley’s new book Mozart – The Man Behind the Music, with the author/illustrator instore talking about who Mozart really was from 4pm, and both of their stores are displaying hand-painted brains
- McLeod’s Booksellers in Rotorua will host their annual Treasure Hunt from 9am
- Featherston Booktown has war games for the adults at Messines Books, while you can send your younger friends across to For the Love of Books for a Monster Investigator Workshop – and if you have a novel in you, go along to Ferret Books and get it on paper
- The Children’s Bookshop in Kilbirnie is hosting a juggling workshop with Circus Quest author Maureen Crisp at 11am, a Tiger who Came to Tea Party at 2pm and at 4pm, a book launch!
- Volume Books are hosting The People’s Bookcase, and encouraging book-positive thoughts with their free bookmarks
- Scorpio Books in Christchurch are hosting Dr Simon Pollard at 10.30am, then holding the Great Scorpio Lit Quiz, as well as being one of the bookshops supporting their local schools.
- Paper Plus Wanaka has a Book Launch Francesca’s Italian Kitchen by Francesca Voza and James Stapley, complete with Wood Fired Pizza fresh from the Oven, from 12.30pm – all proceeds to go local charity Food for Love.