Spending on Good Friday (4.3 percent) and Easter Sunday (1.7 percent) was up from last year, but Easter Saturday drove the overall decrease over the weekend (down 6 percent).
The Easter Saturday accounted for 69 percent of spending over the three days, showing the effects of Easter trading laws on sales on Good Friday and Sunday.
The store types that bucked the trend were hardware and home ware (up 7.7 percent), supermarkets and dairies (up 1.7 percent) and liquor (up 1.6 percent).
The hospitality industry did well, with spending up 2.6 from last year. There was also a 5.3 percent rise in spending on Good Friday.
This could be due to more retailers adapting to food serving laws, or being willing to risk the $1000 fine.