Businesspeople from across the retail-heavy Newmarket district have gathered at The Langham to celebrate their community’s success stories. The awards saw just under 100 entries this year and were attended by 330 people.
Newmarket’s high-performing retailers are obviously maintaining their standards: Michael Holmes Premium Eyewear again scooped up the ‘Retailer of the year’ award, and Glamour Boutique was awarded the ‘People’s Choice’ award for the second year in a row.
The winner of ‘Best bar/Restaurant’ award was also unchanged, with Burger Burger taking it home for the third year running.
The judging panel for this year’s awards included business leaders Andy Hamilton (Icehouse), Anne Norman (James Pascoe Group), Anthony Hoy Fong (Chef), Jayne Atherton (Business Editor, Sunday Star Times – Fairfax), Michael Barnett (Auckland Chamber of Commerce), Michelle Vogt (Mint Consulting), Stewart Sherriff (2degrees) and Wynnis Armour (Armour Consulting). Sponsor judges included Rachel Dovey from Bayleys, and Steve Beaumont from Continental Cars.
Guest speaker Jenene Crossan, founder and chief executive of hair and beauty booking company Flossy, shared a candid and personal reflection on her professional journey.
Accepting the possibility of failure is key to success, she says: “Accepting that you could fail is actually as important as dreaming that you could succeed.”
“Perfection just isn’t an option,” Crossan says. “It will not only slow you down, it will end up killing what you’re doing.
The Newmarket Business Association celebrates its 80th anniversary this year, having been founded in 1937.
“We’re a bit flasher these days, but the essence of what we do remains the same,” says chief executive Mark Knoff-Thomas.
The full list of winners is:
- ‘Employer of the Year’ – sponsored by ANZ: The Mind Lab by Unitec
- ‘Retailer of the Year’ – sponsored by Hayes Knight: Michael Holmes Premium Eyewear
- ‘International Retailer of the Year’ – sponsored by Westfield Newmarket: CITTÀ
- ‘Best Innovation of the Year’ – sponsored by Vector: Tech Futures Lab
- ‘Best Customer Experience’ – sponsored by Recognise & Reward: Glamour Boutique
- ‘Best Bar/ Restaurant of the Year’ – sponsored by Newmarket Business Association: Burger Burger
- ‘Best Café of the Year’ – sponsored by Countdown Newmarket: Cali – All Day Eatery
- ‘Best Small/ Medium Business of the Year’ – sponsored by 2degrees: AML Solutions
- ‘Best Medium/ Large Business of the Year’ – sponsored by Multi-Media Systems: Vend
- ‘Young Business Person of the Year’ – sponsored by Rotary Newmarket: Olivia Vincent – Muse Boutique
- ‘Most Sustainable Business of the Year’ – sponsored by SBM Legal: Wise Cicada
- ‘Newmarket People’s Choice’ Award 2017: Glamour Boutique
- ‘Newmarket Supreme Winner’ Award for 2017: Tech Futures Lab