For an upcoming NZRetail magazine story, we’re looking at the issues provincial retailers are facing and the solutions at hand. We want to hear from those directly affected: you, the retailers in these regional towns. What issues are you up against? What do you want to see done to improve the situation? This is your chance to speak up and voice your concerns with the rest of the industry.rn
In the next issue of NZRetail, I’m exploring an issue that is close to the hearts of many in this industry: retailing in vulnerable provincial towns in New Zealand.
Over the past year at The Register, we’ve seen countless stories about record vacancies in towns like Hastings, Blenheim and Invercargill.
We’ve heard about the impact of dwindling population numbers, online shopping and poor dairy payouts.
But often the ones talking about it are based outside these towns, so for this story we would like to hear directly from those that are experiencing it: you, the retailers.
Please do get in touch with us to talk about this important issue, either on or off the record. If you want to be anonymous, that’s fine – just be sure to specify the town you’re based in.
Send us what you’d like to share about your situation, or feel free to fill out the questions below and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
1) What do you feel are the biggest issues affecting provincial retailers?
2) What is being done by town stakeholders to solve these issues?
3) Do you feel like this will solve anything? Why/why not?
4) What do you want to to be done?
5) What are you doing personally to try to solve these issues?
6) Has your business come close to shutting down?