Each year NZRS Ltd, the registry that operates the .nz domain name space, conducts research via Colmar Brunton with consumers and businesses in New Zealand looking at use of the internet and domain names. For retailers in New Zealand these results provide some insight into the importance of maintaining an active, modern online presence as part of their retail operations.
Ninety-seven percent of online New Zealanders rely on the internet when searching for information, products or services. For retailers, this means having an online presence and focusing on being found in online searches are essential elements to finding and engaging your target customer.
Websites based on .nz continue to be rated the highest when searching the internet, buying a product or service or reading the news online.
- 67 percent prefer .nz based websites when searching for information online.
- 75 percent prefer .nz based websites when buying products online.
- 67 percent prefer .nz based websites when reading news stories online.
While 60 percent of New Zealand businesses are yet to have a web-based presence using a domain name, the 40 percent that have invested time and effort are reaping the benefits.
- 93 percent find it helps to share information with their customers.
- 92 percent find it helps consumers connect with their business.
- 81 percent find it helps build credibility.
- 69 percent find it helps to increase sales.
- 51 percent find it helps drive customer loyalty.
For retail businesses the sector will continue to evolve as the internet becomes more pervasive in the retail experience, both online and and instore. For businesses that integrate the internet in their business models – whether it be focused on engagement, sales, support or all of these – they will see a growing competitive advantage. And don’t forget about focusing on the mobile experience for your customers as 73 percent will move to a different website if the one they are on does not function well on their mobile device.
It’s also about being local. For businesses that want to express their business as being uniquely New Zealand, a .nz domain name for your web and email address helps customers to rapidly identify their business.
- 74 percent of consumers perceive .nz domain names as representing local.
- 78 percent of businesses choose a .nz domain name because they are a New Zealand business.
To find out more about .nz domain names, visit getyourselfonline.nz.