The retailers were each nominated “store of the year” for their respective categories by consumers. More than 10,000 members of the public were surveyed. The awards were presented by CEO Michele Levine and deputy CEO Hugh Amoyal at a gala dinner in Auckland last night.
Kiwibank, 2degrees, Apple and Suzuki each reconfirmed their reputations for outstanding customer service with a fourth consecutive win, while Bunnings returned to form three years after its last victory and Paper Plus, Ballantynes, Burger Fuel, TSB Bank and Hannahs all made it two-in-a-row.
Levine says customers typically love their cars and hardware stores, pharmacists, clothing and sports stores, but are “tougher” on telecommunications and utilities providers.
“Our favourite hardware stores regularly score over 90 percent satisfaction. With Bunnings, Carters, Hammer Hardware, ITM, Mitre 10 and PlaceMakers all achieving high scores, it makes for a truly competitive race—and when that happens everyone wins, especially shoppers.”
“Businesses that use intelligent research to identify and understand their customers will always have an edge when it comes to delivering satisfaction. Happy customers will then be your champions, your advocates and your spokespeople. Therefore customer satisfaction should absolutely be viewed as a powerful marketing tool, as important as any billboard, TV spot or direct mail campaign.”
Steve Anderson, managing director of Foodstuffs New Zealand, says the company is “extremely proud” of New World’s win.
“It really is the highest accolade to receive such fantastic feedback directly from our customers and the win reflects all the outstanding work our New World teams are achieving around the country.”
The full list of winners and their awards is below:
– Car Manufacturer of the Year: Suzuki
– Financial Institution of the Year: TSB Bank
– Major Bank of the Year: Kiwibank
– Quick Service Restaurant of the Year: Burger Fuel
– Pharmacy of the Year: Care Chemist
– Clothing Store of the Year: Max
– Coffee Shop of the Year: Robert Harris Café
– Department Store of the Year: Ballantynes
– Furniture/Electrical Store of the Year: Noel Leeming
– Hardware Store of the Year: Bunnings
– Liquor Store of the Year: The Mill
– Music/Book Store of the Year: Paper Plus
– Shoe Store of the Year: Hannahs
– Sports Store of the Year: Kathmandu
– Supermarket of the Year: New World
– Mobile Phone Handset Provider of the Year: Apple
– Home Phone Service Provider of the Year: Trustpower
– Home Internet Service Provider of the Year: Vodafone
– Mobile Phone Service Provider of the Year: 2degrees
– Domestic Airline of the Year: Air New Zealand
– International Airline of the Year: Emirates
– Electricity Provider of the Year: Powershop
– Gas Provider of the Year: Nova Energy